Cares Act Funds
What is the CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Fund?
The CARES Act Emergency Fund is for students who are not automatically awarded for the CARES Act Student Grant. Students must submit the electronic application to be considered for the CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Fund.
Emergency grants to students can be used for eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care.
Examples of Emergencies:
- Increased technology/course material expenses
- Increased housing expenses (rent, utilities)
- Increased food expenses
- Increased health care expenses
- Increased childcare expenses
Eligibility Requirements for students submitting the CARES ACT Emergency Fund Application:
Electronically submit a completed CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Fund Application;
- Active enrollment for Spring 2020 at Reynolds Community College as of the National Emergency Declaration (3/13/2020);
- Not enrolled exclusively in online courses as of 3/13/2020;
- Be a registered Reynolds Community College student during the semester in which the CARES ACT Emergency Funds would be awarded;
- Meets Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements;
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Must have a high school diploma or GED;
- If male between 18-25 years old, must be registered with Selective Service; you can register with Selective Service at www.sss.gov
- Must not be in default on a federal student loan; and
- Meet all federal financial aid eligibility requirements.
**Dual enrollment students are not eligible.
Students who do not meet the criteria to be automatically awarded the CARES Act Student Grant may submit the electronic CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Funds Application for consideration. The CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Funds Application can be found here.
Once the application has been submitted, you will receive a response in your SIS Message Center within 5-7 business days. Submission of application does not guarantee approval.
Distribution of Funds
Students who meet the above criteria may be awarded the CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Funds Grant. If you are approved for the CARES Act COVID-19 Emergency Funds Grant, you will receive a message in your SIS Message Center.
Also, you will receive a positive hold on your student record in SIS detailing the amount of your expected award.
If you have direct deposit setup with the college, you will receive the funds via direct deposit via your personal bank account. If you have not setup direct deposit, you will receive a check in the mail. Therefore, it is imperative that you confirm your address in SIS to be accurate. If your address is incorrect, please update it now by logging into MyReynolds, select Student Center, under Personal Information select Mailing Address, and edit. Once you have updated the address, select ‘ok’ and ‘save’.
If you do not have direct deposit setup, please expect a delay in receiving the funds.
If you have not set up direct deposit, you can do so on the Reynolds Refund Disbursement Portal.
Any inquiries regarding the CARES ACT Funds should be forwarded to CARESACT@reynolds.edu or 804-523-5137.