Cares Act Funds
What is the CARES Act Student Grant?
Reynolds Community College received a Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF) grant created under the Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which will be used to help our students affected by the current COVID-19 crisis. Students who meet the standard qualifications will be automatically awarded.
Emergency grants to students can be used for eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care.
Examples of Emergencies:
- Increased technology/course material expenses
- Increased housing expenses (rent, utilities)
- Increased food expenses
- Increased health care expenses
- Increased childcare expenses
Eligibility requirements for students that are auto-awarded the CARES Act Student Grant:
Eligible students meet the following criteria:
- Active enrollment for Spring 2020 at Reynolds Community College as of the National Emergency Declaration (3/13/2020);
- Not enrolled exclusively in online courses as of 3/13/2020;
- Registered at least half-time (six or more credits) during the Spring 2020 semester;
- Submitted a 2019-2020 FAFSA with a valid EFC to Reynolds Community College;
- Must be enrolled in a financial aid eligible program;
- Meets Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements;
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Must have a high school diploma or GED;
- If male between 18-25 years old, must be registered with Selective Service;
- Must not be in default on a federal student loan; and
- Meet all federal financial aid eligibility requirements.
**Dual enrollment students are not eligible.
Distribution of Funds
Students who meet the above criteria will automatically be awarded the CARES Act Student Grant. If you have been selected to be autoawarded, you will receive a message in your SIS Message Center.
You recently received an email regarding the federal CARES Act. The federal CARES Act provides Reynolds with additional funding to support many of our students by offering some financial relief to offset increased expenses associated with the sudden disruption of classes as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
We would like to inform you that you are a recipient of the CARES Act Grant fund for the Spring 2020 semester due to the disruption of campus operations as a result of COVID-19. These awards will range from $300 - $600 based on eligibility requirements. Emergency financial aid grants under the CARES Act are for unexpected expenses, unmet financial need, or expenses related to the disruption of campus operations on account of the COVID-19 pandemic, such as unexpected expenses for food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, or childcare. This grant is not taxable.
Funds will be automatically deposited to students who have established direct deposit through TMS. Students who do not have direct deposit and have not signed up by Friday, May 8th should expect mail delivery two to three weeks after receiving an email or SIS notification. Allow 7 to 10 business days for TMS refunds to be generated. If this is an option, we encourage you to sign up for direct deposit.
Continue to be safe and take care of yourself!
Reynolds Community College
Also, you will receive a positive hold on your student record in SIS detailing the amount of your expected award.
If you have direct deposit setup with the college, you will receive the funds via direct deposit via your personal bank account. If you have not setup direct deposit, you will receive a check in the mail. Therefore, it is imperative that you confirm your address in SIS to be accurate. If your address is incorrect, please update it now by logging into MyReynolds, select Student Center, under Personal Information select Mailing Address, and edit. Once you have updated the address, select ‘ok’ and ‘save’.
If you do not have direct deposit setup, please expect a delay in receiving the funds.
If you have not set up direct deposit, you can do so on the Reynolds Refund Disbursement Portal.
Any inquiries regarding the CARES ACT Funds should be forwarded to CARESACT@reynolds.edu or 804-523-5137.