New Student Orientation
Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
Welcome to Reynolds Community College!
We want to help you get started by providing important information to guide you from the application process to attending your first class.
If you have not applied to Reynolds, get started here.
If you need to apply for financial aid, follow the steps listed on this page.
On-Campus Orientation Sessions for Fall 2018 Students: SOAR
The SOAR program will prepare you for the start of fall semester.
New students who have already taken more than a semester of college classes, have a degree, or attended another VCCS institution, may not have to attend SOAR. Please see an advisor in the Enrollment Services Office or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
Students taking classes to transfer to their home institution should complete a transient student form and do not attend SOAR.
SOAR is a two step process:
1. View online orientation.
2. Sign up and attend a SOAR session. At your session, the NSO (new student orientation) hold will be removed from your account so you can register for classes.
Directions for online orientation
View the New Student Online Orientation by setting up a Go2Reynolds account here. The Go2Reynolds account is different from your MyReynolds account so you will not use your MyReynolds username and password for Go2Reynolds. You will create a new username and password for the Go2Reynolds account. For Go2Reynolds:
- Click on Create Account
- Enter the required information
- Create your own password
- Keep track of your username and password. You will use it again in your SDV 100 course and if you take a Distance Learning class.
- Choose the video titled, Required New Student Orientation. In it, you will learn about different degree options at Reynolds, campus resources such as tutoring, important information about financial aid, and getting involved in campus life.
- You can return to this account to view all of the video options on the student dashboard, including videos on how to succeed in college. These Student Success videos cover topics such as, How to Reduce Test Anxiety, Study Tips & Note Taking Strategies, The Difference Between High School & College, How to Overcome Math Anxiety, Overcoming Procrastination, Setting and Accomplishing Realistic Goals, and many others.
Here is a short video overview of the online orientation and Enrollment checklist.
Sign up for a SOAR Date
At SOAR you will:
- Receive a set of recommended classes for your academic program from an advisor
- Learn how to navigate your MyReynolds account
- Take a brief tour of campus
- Receive help from Student Ambassadors in creating your fall schedule
- Understand campus lingo, such as the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a class
- Have the opportunity to speak to a financial aid representative
- Acquire information about Reynolds services such as tutoring, accommodations, and getting involved in campus activities
New students for fall 2018 must sign up to attend a SOAR session.
|Date||Check-in between||Campus||Check in location||
Program will last until
|Tuesday, June 26*||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC||Main building, first floor lobby||7:00 p.m.||This session is full|
|Wednesday, July 11||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||9:00 p.m.||This session is full|
|Friday, July 13||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||Noon||This session is full|
|Friday, July 13||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||5:00 p.m.|
|Monday, July 16*||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC||Main building, first floor lobby||7:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, July 18||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||9:00 p.m.|
|Friday, July 20||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||Noon|
|Friday, July 20||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, July 25||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||9:00 p.m.|
|Friday, July 27||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||Noon|
|Friday, July 27||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, Aug 1||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||9:00 p.m.|
|Friday, Aug 3||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||Noon|
|Friday, Aug 3||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC||1st floor lobby||5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, Aug 8||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||9:00 p.m.|
|Friday, Aug 10||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||Noon|
|Friday, Aug 10||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC||Massey Library Technology Center lobby||5:00 p.m.|
*These dates are at the Goochland Campus and are recommended for students in Automotive, Diesel Mechanics, Floral Design, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, Welding, and Horticulture.
Culinary Students should sign up for one of the following dates when Chef Miller will be at SOAR to give you important information about the Culinary program: July 11, July 13 both sessions, July 25, July 27 both sessions, August 1, August 3 both sessions.
Teacher Prep Students should sign up for one of the following dates when Dr. Barna will be at SOAR to give you important information about the Teacher Prep programs: July 18, July 25, August 3 both sessions, August 10 both sessions.
To sign up for a SOAR date, go here. Seats fill quickly so sign up soon! If you need to change or cancel your date, please contact email@example.com. Pop-ups should be allowed as the registration page will be a pop-up. Google Chrome is the recommended browser. Safari is not a recommended browser nor is signing up on a cell phone.
General Information about SOAR sessions
- Arrive early for the check-in process.
- Wednesday evening sessions start at 6 p.m. and end at approximately 9 p.m.
- Friday morning sessions start at 9 a.m. and end at approximately noon.
- Friday afternoon sessions start at 2 p.m. and end at approximately 5 p.m.
- Goochland sessions start at 4 p.m. and end at approximately 7 p.m.
- At the Downtown Campus (DTC), SOAR guests may use the Reynolds Parking Deck. Bring your parking ticket to the check-in table in the first floor lobby for validation. We cannot validate off-street parking or parking in the VCU deck.
- At the Parham Road Campus (PRC), SOAR guests can park in front of Massey Library Technology Center; the check-in tables will be located in the lobby.
- Plan to stay for the entire program.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Bring a photo ID.
- You may bring up to 2 guests.
- You must sign up for a date in order to attend.
- Some students will have a high school transcript hold on their account. This hold cannot be removed until an official high school transcript is received and students attend SOAR. The hold will be taken off at SOAR so students can register for classes.
- Our advisors need placement results to advise you properly. Students need to take the Virginia Placement test, commonly called the VPT, or submit other documentation for a placement waiver, such as high school transcripts or SAT scores. For more information about waivers, go to the testing center website to read about VPT waivers.
We look forward to meeting you! If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer 2018 Classes
To be advised for summer classes, please go to one of our Enrollment Services Offices. Be sure to check their website for hours and locations. If you are a returning student with more than 15 credit hours, see your faculty advisor. This advisor is listed on your Student Center.
- Some students will have a high school transcript hold on their account. This hold cannot be removed until an official high school transcript is received. After it is received, students can register for classes.