Transfer students are considered first-time curricular students and must complete the the Steps to Get Started for credit classes at Reynolds.

High school and previous college transcripts are generally not required at the time of application. (Health Technology programs require high school transcripts. )

College transcripts are not required for admission. Transfer applicants should arrange for the submission of official transcripts that document satisfied pre-requisites and program requirements at the 100- or 200- level.

Transfer credit
Advanced standing is defined as the application of awarded credit, earned by means other than instruction at Reynolds. No more than 75 percent of a degree or certificate may be earned through advanced standing credit. Credit from other colleges may be considered toward satisfying program requirements, therefore only students admitted to a curricular program may receive advanced standing. Students should ensure that all relevant and official documents are forwarded to the Admissions and Record Office for evaluation. Transcripts are considered official if they are in a sealed envelope and carry the seal of the institution. Students requesting transfer credit from another VCCS college should request an evaluation of VCCS transcripts and should not have to request an official transcript from another VCCS college. Only courses that are equivalent and relevant to the curriculum in which the student is enrolled will be applied towards credit in the program. Additionally, credit will be awarded only for courses earning a grade of "C" or better of the equivalent.

Official transcripts received four weeks prior to the beginning of the desired semester or term will be evaluated and placed on the Student Information System prior to the final registration period. Transcripts received after that point will be evaluated as time permits and in date priority order. At the completion of the transcript evaluation process, students will receive an email notification that the evaluation is complete and available to view on the Student Information System. Students may appeal a decision regarding the transferability of a specific course(s). Students must complete the Transfer Evaluation Appeal Form to initiate the appeal process.

Transfer credit from international institutions
Reynolds accepts international transcript credit only after the student has an official transcript sent to the college that has been translated into English and evaluated for course-by-course credit by a private evaluation agency. The student has the responsibility to make contact with the evaluation agency, paying necessary fees for the evaluation of the transcript and ensuring that the college receives the official transcript evaluated.

Credit by Examination
Standardized examinations, including the Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI), and assessments by local examination (ABLE), which may be developed and administered by Reynolds, may be used to award course credit. For more information please contact Office of the Registrar.

View the Policy on Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

Credit for training
Credit for previous educational studies or training programs may be awarded, as recommended by the American Council on Education. Credit may be accepted from military schools if this credit is recommended in "A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services". For more information please contact Office of the Registrar.