Notification of Rights under FERPA for Reynolds Community College

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect of their education records. They are:

1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.

Students should submit to the Registrar's Office, Georgiadis Hall 207, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask Reynolds Community College (Reynolds) to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the Reynolds official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Reynolds or the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff). Other typical exceptions include:

  • Other schools to which a student is transferring
  • High schools of dual or concurrent enrollment students
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school
  • Accrediting organizations
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, and pursuant to specific State law
  • A person or company with whom the College or VCCS has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent)
  • A person serving on the Local or Foundation Board
  • A student serving on an official college committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks, excluding Student Government (SGA) tasks
  • A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Reynolds to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Notice Regarding Directory Information

FERPA designates certain information as "directory information," which may be released upon request without the student's express written consent. The Virginia Community College System defines Directory Information as: name; address; telephone number; major field of study; dates of attendance; degrees, honors, and awards received; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; electronic mail address; date and place of birth; grade (class) level; and the most recent educational agency or institution attended and course credit load.

To block release of directory information, you must submit a written and signed request, including your Empl ID, must be faxed or mailed to the Office of the Registrar.