Students outside Bookstore


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is eligible to receive services from the Office of Student Accommodations (OSA)?
Anyone attending classes at Reynolds who has a documented disability is eligible to receive services. A disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, such as caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

In order to determine if you are eligible, please contact the Office of Student Accommodations (OSA) to set up a meeting and to discuss your disability needs. You will be required to provide documentation of your disability to the OSA Counselor or Specialist.

2. I think that I may have a learning disability. What should I do?

The college does not provide diagnostic services for students. You can contact the OSA to receive a list of service providers in your local area.

3. I have a physical disability and do not need any accommodations. Do I have to meet with the OSA?

No, however, it is recommended that in case of an emergency, you understand the college’s Emergency Evacuation Plans. For assistance you should contact Reynolds’ Office of Security.

4. What is Reynolds’ policy on attendance for students with disabilities?

The OSA does not determine course attendance policies at Reynolds. Students are required to adhere to policies established by faculty that are outlined on the course syllabus.

5. Who will be informed about my disability?

Disability documentation is considered confidential information and does not become part of a student’s academic transcript. All disability information is housed in the OSA. Disability documentation shall be released only in accordance with the law, and Reynolds policies and procedures. Faculty and staff have no authority to see disability documentation or have any information concerning a student’s disability without a legitimate educational need to know.

6. When should I disclose that I have a disability?

Although you can disclose your disability at any time, it is highly recommended that you do so as soon as possible in order to receive appropriate accommodations and services. This will provide you with an equal opportunity to participate in all programs, services, and activities offered at Reynolds.

7. As a student with a disability, why would I benefit from academic accommodations?

Accommodations are provided for students as a means of leveling the playing field, and allowing equal access in the academic environment. Accommodations are used to assist a student with a disability in receiving accommodations related to their specific need, but do not guarantee success.

8. What is the process for receiving academic accommodation?

Once you have completed the intake process with the OSA, you will be given an Accommodation Notification Form (ANF) that will be turned into each instructor at the start of the semester you are requesting services. With the support of the OSA, students receiving accommodations are responsible to discuss with their instructors and tutors as needed to implement their accommodations. Students requesting accommodations are responsible for discussing with their instructors and tutors their accommodation needs to receive services outlines in their ANF.

If you are graduating from high school this year and will need accommodations, be sure that any testing related to your disability has been revised to meet Reynolds guidelines. Please start this process before the start of your first semester. Call the OSA office to schedule an appointment.

9. What type of documentation do I need to provide to the OSA in order to receive accommodations?

Details for the list below are available on request in the OSA.
• General guidelines
• Specific Learning Disability
• Medical Disability
• Psychological Disability
• Attention Deficit Disorder

10. What electronic resources are available for a student with a disability?

Electronic Resources and Locations of these resources may be obtained in the OSA on each campus.