State Tuition Assistance

To apply for State Tuition Assistance benefits, Service Members can go to This website will hold your account for the duration of your time in the Virginia National Guard and the dashboard will allow you to track your state tuition assistance progress.

You will need to establish an account using your DoD ID number from your Common Access Card (CAS) or your military ID, along with basic personal information, including your Pay Entry Basic Date (PEBD) or Pay Date for Air Guard. After you have been verified by the State Education office as being eligible for assistance, you will be able to submit your application online. Promissory Note and Grade Release forms will be emailed to you, which you must sign and return to the Education Office.

State Tuition Assistance Website:
Use either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

Please direct all questions to the State Education Office, Ms. Kegley, 434-298-6155, or Ms. Stallings at 434-298-3020,

Federal Tuition Assistance

To apply for Tuition Assistance benefits, Service Members can go to Army IgnitED. The application must be submitted at least one week prior to the start date of classes. First-time Soldiers will select “Request TA” to sign up for classes, complete the Common Application and submit a Statement of Understanding.

Annual FTA maximum is up to $250 per semester hour not to exceed $4000 or 16 semester hours per Fiscal Year (FY). An Army GPA of 2.0 for undergraduates must be maintained.

Contact the Education Services Specialist at 434-298-6329 or via email at for more information about your federal education benefits.

  • Both tuition assistance and the Post 9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33 benefit can be used for applicable approved programs of education. This is not tuition assistance TOP-UP. Tuition Assistance cannot be used with any VA benefits other than the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty and the Post 9/11 GI Bill.