The Medical Emergency Response guide is designed to help college employees and students respond to medical emergencies that occur at Reynolds.


When medical emergencies occur at Reynolds, the incident should be reported to the employee supervisor, college official, or the Department of Police. Medical emergencies may result from traffic accidents, slips or falls, pre-existing health conditions, or workplace accidents.


Medical emergency: any situation that requires immediate medical attention; injuries or illnesses suffered can be life threatening or non-life threatening.

Life-threatening injuries or illnesses: injuries or an illness (i.e., severe burns and wounds, heart attack, stroke, head trauma) that pose serious risk to the individual's life and requires immediate medical attention.

Non-life threatening injuries or illnesses: injuries or illnesses that may require immediate or delayed medical attention, but should not result in death or permanent disability to the individual.


To prepare for a potential medical emergency, consider the following:

  • Receive CPR and First Aid Training
  • Know the location of Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and receive AED training
  • Maintain an adequate supply of prescription medication(s) at work if necessary. Make sure they are securely stored where only you can access them.
  • Update emergency contact information in PeopleSoft in the event that family, friends, or loved ones must be contacted in an emergency.
    1. Log in to PeopleSoft

    2. Select "Campus Personal Information",

    3. Select "Emergency Contacts"

    4. Select "Add and Emergency Contact" to enter one or more individuals that will serve as emergency contacts.

  • Notify your supervisor and/or coworkers of health conditions for your safety if an emergency occurs.
  • Know or maintain contact information for your primary care physician and the location of hospitals near your work and home.


If an individual suffers an injury or becomes ill and requires immediate medical attention, the following actions should be taken.

  1. Immediately contact The Department of Police by dialing 5911 from a college phone (804- 523-5911 or 911) from a cell phone and relay the following information:
    • Nature of the injury or illness
    • Victim's location
    • Identify of the victim
    • Suspected or known cause of the injury or illness
  2. If trained, provide first aid or medical assistance as necessary.
  3. Unless in immediate danger, do not move the victim if unconscious or has a back/neck injury.
  4. If the victim is unconscious and not breathing, locate an AED if available, turn it on, and follow the instructions provided by the unit.
  5. Remain with the victim until emergency response personnel arrive.
For First Aid/CPR training, contact the Virginia Red Cross or the American Heart Association for a list of training dates and locations. Depending upon your job description, you may be eligible for First Aid or CPR/AED training through the college.


Students, employees, and visitors should seek medical treatment for all illnesses/injuries as needed. The nearest emergency medical facilities to the campus are as follows:

Medical Facilities

Downtown Campus Parham Road Campus Goochland Campus

VCU Medical Center

1250 East Marshall St.

(804) 828-9000

Henrico Doctors Hospital

7700 East Parham Road

(804) 747-5600

West Creek Emergency Center

12720 Tuckahoe Creek Ct.

(804) 784-1000


In the event of a life threatening injury/illness, contact the Department of Police (804-523-5911) immediately. Do not attempt to transport the individual to a medical facility, Wait for EMS to arrive.


Reynolds has a reporting process for incidents and accidents that occur on college property that will guide personnel through what to do should an incident occur that results in injury, or property damage:

  • For injuries occurring to employees,
o Refer to form 35-0031 (Accident Report of Workers' Compensation Claim)

o Contact the Department of Human Resources (804-523-5249).

o Contact the Department of Police to file an incident report

  • Injuries occurring to students and visitors,

o Contact the Department of Police (523-5219) to file an incident report.

  • Any damage to property or any accident must be immediately reported to the Department of Police.


For additional resources that may be needed in the event of a medical emergency, please refer to the following websites.

Health Benefits:

Employees should familiarize themselves with health benefits available to them through Human Resources and Payroll. Please visit the HR website for more complete information.

Workers' Compensation:

Employees injured on the job may be eligible for workers' compensation. All work-related injuries and illnesses should be reported to appropriate supervisors and the Workers' Compensation department within Human Resources and Payroll. For additional information on workers' compensation, policies please visit Human Resources and Payroll's Workers' Compensation page.

Panel Physician:

If work-related injuries and illnesses require medical care, employees must select a Panel Physician for treatment. A list of all pre-approved Panel Physicians can be obtained from Human Resources.

Date Revised: 05/21/2019