This statement of rights and responsibilities is designed to clarify those rights, which the student may expect to enjoy as a member of the student body of a community college and the obligations which admission to the college places upon the student.
The submission of an application for admission to a community college represents a voluntary decision on the part of the prospective student to participate in the programs offered by the institution pursuant to the policies, rules, and regulations of the community colleges and rules and regulations of the State Board of Community Colleges. In turn, college approval of that application represents the extension of a privilege to join the college community and to remain a part of it so long as the student meets the required academic and behavior standards of the college system.
Each individual student is guaranteed the privileges of exercising his/her rights without fear or prejudice. Such rights include the following:
• Students are free to pursue their educational goals; appropriate opportunities for learning in the classroom and on the campus shall be provided by the college or curricula offered by the college.
• No disciplinary sanctions may be imposed upon any student without due process.
• Free inquiry, expression, and assembly are guaranteed to all students provided their actions do not interfere with the rights of others or the effective operation of the institution.
• Academic evaluation of student performance shall be neither arbitrary nor capricious.
• The college and members of the college community have the right to expect safety, protection of property and the continuity of the educational process.
• Upon written request to the Director of Admissions and Records, a student will be permitted to inspect and review his/her permanent educational record within forty-five (45) days following the date on which the request