How do I apply for Financial Aid?
  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application that needs to be completed to apply for federal/state financial aid.
  • The FAFSA can be completed online at
  • By completing the FAFSA, a student is applying for federal and state aid, including loans and work-study.
  • Reynolds' Federal School Code is 00375.
  • Students who are unable to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ) can now be considered for state financial aid by submitting the Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA) application.
My parents are not helping me pay for college. Am I considered independent?

Even if your parents do not contribute any money toward your education, for financial aid purposes, you are considered a dependent of your parents unless you can answer 'yes' to any of the following questions:

  1. Will you be 24 years of age by December 31 of the academic aid year in which you are applying for?
  2. Are you married?
  3. Are you a graduate student (working on a master's or doctorate program)?
  4. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  5. Are you currently serving on active duty?
  6. Do you have children that you support more than half of their income?
  7. Do you have dependents (other than your children) that you give more than half of your support to and will continue to do so through June 30 of the award year?
  8. At any time since you turned 13, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care or a ward/dependent of the court?
  9. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are/were you an emancipated minor?
  10. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you under legal guardianship?
  11. At any time in or after July of last year, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  12. At any time in or after July of last year, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  13. At any time in or after July of last year, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when I'm completing the FAFSA?
  • If your natural parents are separated or divorced, use the natural parent (and their current spouse, if applicable) with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months.
  • If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months.
  • If your parent has remarried as of the date you complete your FAFSA, you must also include the stepparent's financial information on the application, and parent and stepparent should report themselves as married on the FAFSA.
What is an EFC?
  • The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family's financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law, based on FAFSA information.
  • Your family's income (taxed and untaxed), assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula.
  • Your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year, are considered in the EFC calculation.
  • Reynolds uses the EFC is used to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.
Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. The FAFSA must be completed each academic year for which a student wishes to receive financial aid.
*The academic year includes the fall, spring, and summer semesters.*

Which year's FAFSA do I complete?

Students planning to attend during Fall 2023, Spring 2024, or Summer 2024: Complete the 2023-24 FAFSA
Students planning to attend during Fall 2024, Spring 2025, or Summer 2025: Complete the 2024-25 FAFSA

How do I accept / decline / reduce my financial aid award?

Accepting Grants (including Federal Pell and State Grants):

  • Grants are automatically accepted once your eligibility has been determined and your aid has been awarded.
  • *Remember: If you are not a full-time student (fewer than 12 credits), your awards might be reduced; use the pro-rate tool to see your adjusted aid.

Accepting Student Loans:

  • You must submit a Student Loan Request form (found on our Forms webpage ) to request a student loan. Once the request has been processed, it will show on your account as offered & accepted.
  • For instructions on how to apply for a student loan, refer to the article: How do I apply for loans?

Reducing or Declining Grants/Loans:

  • To decline or reduce an award (loans or grants), please submit a written and signed statement to the Financial Aid Office. Include your name, student ID, and details regarding which awards and semesters you are requesting the change.
  • The signed statement can be submitted via web ase at
Do I have to complete a separate application for the summer?

If you have not submitted the FAFSA for that school year go to to complete the FAFSA. The only additional application you would complete is if you would like to request a Federal Direct Student Loan. The Summer Loan Request form will be available in March.

How do I apply for student loans?

In order to apply for loans, a Loan Request form must be completed and can be found here: https://www.reynolds.edu The student must have also completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), as well as the Master Promissory Note (MPN), and Entrance Counseling at

What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

The priority deadlines for receipt of the FAFSA are as follows:

  • Fall - April 15
  • Spring - September 15
  • Summer - March 15
When will I get my refund?

After attendance has been confirmed for your latest starting class we will disburse your financial aid towards your balance. If there is any additional money left over a refund will be processed within 14 days. Learn more about the Disbursement and Refund process here.

Am I eligible for financial aid if I have a drug-related conviction?

Having a prior drug-related conviction will not prevent you from receiving financial aid. You may be eligible for financial aid. The FAFSA can be completed online at 

How can I submit my financial aid documents?

Documents may be submitted via these methods:

I am not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. What does this mean?

For more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) click here: Satisfactory Academic Progress | Reynolds Community College.

I do not have access to a printer and need to print off verification documents so I can complete them. How can I get a copy of the required form?

You can contact the Office of Financial Aid at and request a paper copy be mailed to your home address. Please confirm your address is accurate in your SIS Student Center. Once the form is completed, you can upload it in SIS or mail it to Reynolds Community College, Office of Financial Aid, 1651 E Parham Road, Richmond, VA 23228. You may also visit any campus to print off documents.

Can I electronically sign any financial aid forms?

Yes, we can accept a digital signature with time stamp that has been password protected. This is typically a document that has been signed in Adobe. We can also accept a signature with an electronic pen.
Acceptable Electronic Signatures (Instructions)

I've tried but I'm not able to obtain a Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS. What other documentation is acceptable?

If you are unable to obtain proof of your non-filing status for the from the IRS or other tax authorities, you may submit a SIGNED statement instead. The statement must certify that you attempted to obtain proof of your non-filing status for the requested tax year from the IRS or other tax authorities but were unable to obtain the required documentation. The statement should also indicate the reason you were unable to obtain the required documentation from the IRS.

What is COA?

COA stands for cost of attendance. COA is the amount it will cost a student to go to school. COA includes not only direct expenses like tuition and fees, but also indirect expenses like books, course materials, living expenses like housing and food, transportation expenses, loan fees for those borrowing federal loans, the cost of obtaining your first professional licensure as required by your program, and other miscellaneous expenses. The COA for Reynolds can be found on the Tuition and Fees page.